Braised Beef and Root Vegetables
- 1-2 pound chuck steak (or any other large, flat piece of meat)
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 cup of beef broth *or any other animal broth available, alternatively you can use water
- Duck fat
- 3 leeks – sliced into rounds *greens removed
- 1 1/2 cup beets -cut into chunks
- 1 cup sweet potatoes – cut into chunks
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup whole red grapes
- Garlic powder
- Bunch of thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- On a hot griddle or stove pan, melt duck fat and sear steak about 4 minutes per side, until it is nicely browned.
- In a large, 9×13 inch rectangle baking dish, place chunked potatoes, beets, sliced leaks, and whole grapes.
- Place the steak on top of the vegetable mixture and sprinkle with 1 tsp salt and garlic powder.
- Make a “bouquet garni” by tying and string around the bunch of thyme and one bay leaf and place on top of the steak
- Mix together the wine and beef broth and pour around the sides of the steak.
- Sprinkle the vegetables with remaining 1/2 tsp of salt and tightly cover dish with tin foil.
- Place in oven and bake for three hours.
- Half way through, open the foil cover and stir the vegetables around to make sure they get coated with the broth mixture, and then cover once more.
- In the last 20 minutes, take the foil off the dish.
- Once finished cooking, let stand out of the oven for 10 minutes, and then serve with veggies
Romans 12:2 “Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is–his good, pleasing and perfect will.”