Spatchcock Roast Chicken & Vegetables
- 1, 3-4 lb roaster chicken
- 2 lb kabocha squash (about 4 cups)
- 2 medium sized onions (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup carrots – cut into chunks
- 1 medium sized lemon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme
- 2 tsp ground sage
- 2 tbsp sea salt
- 3 tbsp avocado oil + more for brushing
- Using a sharp cutting knife, slice the squash in half on either side of the stem.
- Cut the larger half in two, making three large chunks of squash.
- With a spoon, remove seeds and inner flesh of the squash.
- Cut each third in half, and then into smaller, like sized chunks, placing in a large roasting pan.
- Next, peel and cut onion carrots into chunks, tossing in with the squash.
- Coat the vegetables with 3 tbsp of oil, sprinkle with 1 tbsp of sea salt, and set aside while preparing the chicken.
- To save on clean up time, line your cutting board with plastic wrap and paper towels.
- Rinse chicken under cool water, removing any innards, and patting dry with a paper towel.
- Place your chicken on a prepared cutting board breast side down.
- Using a sharp carving knife or pair of kitchen sheers, cut straight across against the backbone, starting on the thigh end.
- Turn chicken around do the same, cutting along the back bone until full detached from the bird.
- Remove the backbone completely and reserve for later stocks or bone broth.
- Flip the chicken over, pressing down to flatten.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place spatchcocked chicken on a roasting rack that fits into or over your roasting pan.
- Zest lemon and then cut it into 8 thin slices.
- Stretching the skin away from the chicken, place 4 slices of lemon on each side of the chicken.
- Brush a few tbsp of oil over chicken and sprinkle evening with 1 tsp sea salt.
- In a small bowl, combine sage, chopped fresh thyme, remaining 2 tsp of salt, and zest of one lemon.
- Rub the herb mixture evenly over the chicken.
- Place chicken in preheated oven and bake 1 hour, until the internal temperature reaches 165.
- Cut into desired portions, serve with roasted vegetables, and enjoy!
Psalm 62:8 “Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to Him, for God is our refuge.”