One item that can always be found on my families dinner table is salad. Individually made into bowls for each person, my mother has always had this side dish part of her routine dinner menu. Because of this, salad dressing has also always been a big deal in my family. Yet, most store bought varieties are full of damaged oils and added ingredients that you simply do not need in a salad dressing. Over the years, I have taken on the job of making homemade dressing, and because Valentine’s Day is coming up, I decided to continue my pink and red theme and make a citrus beet vinaigrette. Overall, it is a simple salad dressing that I made pink with the use of just a bit of boiled beet. Don’t worry, if you are not a fan of beets, you are sure to like this recipe, as the pink grapefruit juice overpowers any “beety” flavor that may be present. If you are looking to make it completely free of added sugars, substituting 1 or 2 soaked and pitted medjool dates would be a great option. Overall, my family thoroughly enjoyed this citrus beet dressing, making it the perfect addition to your meal, whether Valentine’s Day or not!
Citrus Beet Salad Dressing
(Makes 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 oz red beet – boiled (about 2 tbsp or 1/8th of a cup)
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup pink grapefruit juice (from 1/2 a grapefruit)
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground garlic powder
- Cut 1 beet into 1 inch chunks, placing in a small sauce pan filled with water, and boiling until fork tender (10-15 minutes).
- Once tender, drain beet and measure out 1 oz on your kitchen scale.
- Place chopped beet, olive oil, and sea salt in a blender, and blend until smooth.
- Add in honey, garlic powder, grapefruit juice, and white wine vinegar, blending until fully incorporated.
- Pour dressing into a jar and store in the fridge for later use.
Replace honey with 1-2 pitted and soaked medjool dates, or a tbsp of apple sauce, for a fruit sweetened version.
To make Low-FODMAP, omit garlic and replace honey with maple syrup.
1 John 4:7 “Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.”