With my Sweet and Sour Glazed Meatballs easily being one of my most famous recipes on Beyond the Bite, I wasn’t sure how I would ever top it. Seriously, my previous meatball recipe seems to just keep on giving, with new people sharing photos and commenting on how much they like them every week. It is funny how certain recipes become popular when you are not expecting it. That being said, instead of making an entirely different meatball recipe, I decided to create one based off of the recipe that you all know and love. Much like my Asian-inspired meatballs, today’s recipe has a sticky, sweet glaze, of which covers a delicious, light meatball. In my opinion, there is nothing that goes better with apple than turkey, and with the addition of a few of my favorite spices, these meatballs are just the addition one needs to liven up their winter meal plan. Whether served hot out of the oven, or cold out of the fridge, these Spiced Apple-Glazed Meatballs were loved by everyone in my family. Will they top my past Sweet and Sour Glazed Meatballs? Well, I guess we will just have to wait and see.
Spiced Meatballs With Apple Glaze
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 cup leeks – minced
- 1/4 cup arrowroot flour
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger – chopped
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup apple sauce
- 1 tbsp arrowroot flour
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp blackstrap molasses
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8th tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, combine meatball ingredients together with hands.
- Form the mixture into 15-20, like-sized meatballs, and place on a large baking sheet.
- Once up to temperature, place the meat balls in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- To make the glaze, combine arrowroot flour and water in a small ramekin, until a smooth slurry has formed.
- In a small sauce pan, heat apple sauce, molasses, and apple cider vinegar on medium until beginning to lightly bubble.
- Whisk in prepared slurry, spices, and sea salt, stirring for 3-5 minutes until thickened slightly.
- Remove from heat and brush over prepared meatballs, and serve on a platter with extra sauce if desired.
1 John 3:11 “For this is the message you heard from the beginning: We should love one another.”