Have you ever grilled spaghetti squash? If not, today’s recipe will rock your world. All that is needed is a bit of aluminum foil, and you have got yourself a summer friendly meal that doesn’t require turning on the oven for even a minute! While cooking spaghetti squash in the oven, slow-cooker, or even the instant pot (as Eileen from Phoenix Helix does here) is very simple, I was looking for a way that I could prepare it without being inside, heating up the kitchen. As I have mentioned before, the house we rent at Cape Cod does not have well functioning appliances, therefore leaving me to heavily rely on the grill for the majority of my cooking. Because of this, I decided to start my experimentation with the grill a few months ahead of schedule, before we left our house for the summer. At first, I wasn’t sure if the squash would cook properly, and couldn’t help imagining a partially cooked, semi-raw and hard vegetable. However, the end results couldn’t have been more opposite, as the squash turned out to be the perfect texture and taste. If you’ve never tried having spaghetti squash in place of noodles, I encourage you to do so, as its tender, naturally sweet flavor pairs well with any topping such as homemade pesto, sloppy joes, or like today’s dish, a simple shrimp scampi. Overall, I couldn’t have been more thrilled with how this recipe turned out. As my father said, the spaghetti squash in particular was “flipping amazing,” and the marinated shrimp, equally so.
Grilled Spaghetti Squash Shrimp Scampi
- 1 medium-large spaghetti squash
- 2-3 lemons (cut in half)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp avocado oil + more for tossing
- 1 1/2 – 2 lb shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- Preheat grill to high.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half, remove the seeds with a spoon, and place each half on a large sheet of tin foil.
- Drizzle the inside of each half with avocado oil and sprinkle with salt, then securely wrap the tin foil around each half of squash (you may want to add an extra piece and double wrap them).
- Place the foil packets on the grill, cover, and all allow to cook for 40 minutes until the squash is tender.
- Cut the 2-3 lemons in half and place of the grill as well, allowing them to caramelize.
- After 40 minutes, remove the foil packets from the grill, unwrap, and carefully use a fork to remove the squash into spaghetti like strands.
- Transfer the cooked squash to a large serving bowl, squeeze caramelized lemons over it, and toss with lemon juice, sea salt to taste, and extra avocado oil.
- To prepare the shrimp, place the deveined and peeled shrimp in a bowl a long with the lemon juice, sea salt, chopped parsley, and avocado, allowing them to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Once marinated, heat the grill to high and place the shrimp on metal skewers.
- After the grill has become hot, place the skewers on the grill and allow to cook 2-3 minutes per side.
- Remove from the grill, and carefully take the shrimp of the skewers and toss with the prepared spaghetti squash.
Revelations 21:4 “He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”
[…] Turnips with Greens from petra8paleo Steamed Black Cod with Ginger and Chives from Hope Heal Cook Grilled Spaghetti Squash Shrimp Scampi from Beyond the […]
[…] Grilled Spaghetti Squash Shrimp Scampi from Beyond the Bite […]