After purchasing a bottle of pineapple juice to create my pickled pineapple relish , I wanted to come up with other creative ways to use it up. With a few hot days in a row here in New England, I figured both my mother and brother would absolutely love a refreshing smoothie. Much to what I had hoped, they slurped it right up. What’s even greater is that due to the natural sweetness of the pineapple, no extra sugar is needed. It even hit the spot for my little brother, who typically thinks the “sweets” I make are not “sweet enough.” While collagen typically gets confused with gelatin, it is quite different in that it does not gel. As pointed out on Vital Protein’s site, collagen is made up of “short chain amino acids naturally derived from pasture-raised collagen protein.” Not only that, but they are “identical to the protein found in skin, nails, hair, bones, cartilage, and joint,” and thus are also incredibly helpful in healing the tight junctions of one’s gut lining. My family especially like collagen because it makes for the perfect protein powder, as there is no added ingredients or aftertaste. This also makes it indistinguishable for picky eaters (like my younger brother). By adding collagen and MCT oil, the shake has a bit more sustenance, as well as extra creaminess from the fat and protein. Overall, this pina colada was a clear winner with my family, and certainly the best way to cool off this summer. If you are looking for ways to “change things up,” pouring the mixture into an ice cream maker would also make for a fantastic AIP friendly sherbert!
Pina Colada Shake
- 1 3/4 cup pineapple juice ice cubes
- 1 cup full fat, canned coconut milk
- 1 tbsp MCT oil
- 1 scoop Vital Protein collagen peptides
- Pour fresh pineapple juice into ice cubes trays and freeze until solid.
- Remove the ice cubes from the trays and place 1 cups worth in a high speed blender, a long with the coconut milk, blending until just combined.
- Add in remaining 3/4 cup ice cubes, MCT oil, and collagen, blending again until smooth and frothy.
- Pour into two glasses and enjoy!
Isaiah 48:7 “This is what the Lord says— your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: “I am the Lord your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go.”