It’s been awhile that I’ve been able to dedicate a few solid hours to recipe development. However, between it being Spring break and CoVid-19 quarantine (and thus seemingly endless hours to be at home), I knew it was time to think outside of the box and push my creativity. I’ll admit, over the past week I went to the grocery store about three times more than my normal once a week. Overall, with all of the hysteria surrounding possible lock-down, I wanted to make sure I was stocked up on food for at least the next 2 weeks (and thus avoid the Crazies for another 2 weeks). In one of my many grocery store hauls, I found organic purple sweet potatoes, something that is definitely not a normal occurrence. While I wasn’t exactly sure what I’d make of them (aside from a batch of chicken, carrot, cauliflower, and sweet potato puree for my little girl), I knew it just had to be something Autoimmune Protocol Paleo friendly. While I set out to make crispy chicken tostadas, unfortunately the dough would not stay super “snappy” for longer than 5 minutes, which is why I chose to simply call today’s recipe “crispy tortillas.” If there were ever an AIP-Paleo friendly tortilla that most closely resembled a real flour tortilla, these would be it. They’re crispy, slightly sweet yet savory with a bit of chew and strechiness, just like any true gluten-filled tortilla. They even puff up with air bubbles when cooking! Sorry, couldn’t contain my excitement. Anyways…All that to say, while I haven’t a “regular” tortilla in many years, my husband’s approval was enough to convince me that they truly are as good as I believe.
AIP Crispy Purple “Corn” Tortilla Tacos
Purple “Corn” Tortillas
- 2.75 cup purple sweet potato puree (from 2 large purple sweet potatoes)
- 2 cups arrowroot flour
- Duck fat for frying
- Shredded Beef, Chicken, or Pork
- Sliced Radish
AIP Avocado Salsa Verde
- 1 cup packed cilantro
- 1/2 cup packed parsley
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large avocado
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- To make the puree, peel, dice, and boil sweet potato until fork tender, then blend in a food processor until paste has formed. Next, pulse in the arrowroot flour until a smooth dough comes together that is easily handled.
- Remove the dough from the food processor and place on a piece of parchment paper, portion into golf-ball size balls and roll to 1/8th inch thickness.
- Heat 1/2 inch duck fat in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat, frying tortillas a few minutes on each side until they’re golden and puffy. Remove with a slotted spoon and allow to drain on a paper towel before serving.
- Back in the food processor, pulse together cilantro, parsley, garlic, and red onion until chunky, then slowly pulse in lime juice, olive oil, and sea salt. Lastly, pulse in avocado until a chunky salsa has formed.
- Assemble tacos with shredded meat of choice, salsa, and sliced radish. Enjoy!
Romans 15:4 “For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope.”