Date Sweetened Dark Chocolate Frosting
(Frosts a 2 tier, 8 inch cake)
- 1 1/2 cup non-hydrogenated palm shortening
- 18 pitted medjool dates
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder
- In a small bowl, soak dates in hot water until soft (30 minutes).
- Remove the pits from the dates, and place them in a food processor.
- Add 1 cup of the shortening to the food processor, and blend until the mixture has become smooth.
- Add in remaining 1/2 cup shortening and vanilla extract, blending until smooth.
- Mix together cocoa, sea salt, and arrowroot in a dish, then spoon the dry ingredients into the wet, and allowing the processor to run until it has become fully incorporated.
Avoid over-mixing – If you process the mixture too long, the shortening will start to break down and you will have to allow it to firm up before re-mixing.