I have been in a very tangy mood lately. I’m not sure if it is due to the return of morning (aka all-day and night sickness) from being 30 weeks pregnant or not, but I’m going with it. That being said, we’ve had a few warm days here in Nashville over the past few weeks, which had me in full on spring mode. However, if I’m going to be honest, it has been difficult to create new recipes for the blog, simply due to my own lack of motivation in the kitchen. I can come up with a great deal of new dishes in my head, but actually getting in the kitchen is a whole other deal. This is mainly due to excess stress in my personal life that, when I do get a moment to myself, the last thing I want to do is get in the kitchen. I’m sure many of you reading this can relate. However, I must say that after having the most calming and relaxing acupuncture sessions yesterday afternoon, I was left with a spark of inspiration to create today’s recipe. When dreaming of Spring, one of the first things that pops into my mind is lemons. Lemon curd, lemon buttermilk ice cream, lemon cookies, lemonade, you name it! So, after much thought, I decided to go with a simple lemon sheet cake. This cake recipe is based off of my Keto Vanilla Wedding Cake recipe and comes with dairy-free options. For myself, I used Nancy’s cream cheese, which is full in low-histamine probiotics and is something I’ve been able to slowly incorporate into my diet with no issues (happy dance). Overall, this recipe could not be easier and is great for a snack cake or dessert. Even my sugar-loving husband happily approved!
Keto Lemon Sheet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting (Dairy-Free Option)
Lemon Sheet Cake
(Yields 8 slices)
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup granulated Swerve
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp lemon zest (from 2-3 lemons)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 9 eggs
- 1/2 cup avocado oil
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 6 oz Nancy’s cream cheese (or) Kite Hill’s dairy free cream cheese, room temperature
- 6 oz unsalted butter, room temperature (or) non-hydrogenated palm shortening
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup confectioner’s Swerve
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp heavy cream (or) coconut cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 8×8 square cake pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, vanilla, sea salt, granulated swerve, lemon juice, and avocado oil.
- Once whisked smooth, add in coconut flour and baking soda until a smooth batter is formed.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and allow to bake for 35 minutes until set in the middle and golden around the edges.
- While the cake is baking, place cream cheese, confectioner’s swerve, and butter in a large bowl, beating with a mixer until smooth.
- Add in lemon zest, sea salt, lemon juice, and optional cream, beating again until smooth and then set the mixture aside.
- Once the cake is finished, allow to cool completely in the pan before removing, frosting, and slicing into 9 equal portions.
1 John 1:9 “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.”