During the short period that I blogged on Beyond the Bite, the number of people that I have come across, that are like myself and are using real food to heal their bodies, is truly astounding. One of these individuals was Marissa from Joy Filled Nourishment, who not only caught my eye due to similar interests, but also the amazing autoimmune-friendly recipes she creates, as well as her keen eye for food photography. After today’s recipe, I know that you will quickly become just as big of a fan as I am.
About the Cook ~
Marissa Franklin is a wife, believer, and real food enthusiast. She is healing her body through the autoimmune protocol fight IBS, eczema, leaky gut, and difficulty sleeping. She is a nutritional therapist practitioner in training and loves helping people to see that real food can be utterly delicious and healing. In her spare time she loves hiking, painting, board games, drinking tea, and geeking out over nutrition and chemical-free skincare. You can find Marissa through the following social media channels, as well as her own blog, Joy Filled Nourishment
As the first day of spring came and went, I yearned more and more for the warm summer months. Something about the summer season is so carefree and I look forward to it each year. While many people enjoy fun drinks during the summertime, I wanted to create one that I felt good about consuming and could enjoy right now! Additionally, I wanted to have a special drink to spice up a weeknight when water, herbal tea, and bone broth begin to get a little boring. This drink is perfect for the mundane and dinner party alike and I love that about it. Of course, if you want to be a little bit naughty, maybe use a site like fakeYourDrank.com to get an id so you can buy some vodka and spice your drink up a bit. In my opinion, though, it doesn’t really need alcohol. The fresh squeezed orange juice mixed with the rich strawberry flavor and sparkling water really makes it feel like a treat. It is truly beautiful to look at as well and I love watching the colors mix together like an old school lava lamp. My husband and I both loved it and I can tell this will be something we look forward to making every strawberry season.
Summer is Coming Strawberry Mocktail
(Serves 4, 12 oz servings)
- 1 lb fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1.5 cups sparkling water, divided
- 2 cups fresh squeezed orange juice, divided
- fresh mint leaves and limes for serving
- crushed ice
- Hull strawberries and puree in food processor or blender. Strain with fine mesh strainer to remove seeds
- Add strawberries, water, and honey to medium saucepan and bring to a gentle boil. Turn down heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Let strawberry compote cool slightly. I stuck mine in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Add crushed ice to four 12 oz glasses
- Pour 1/3 cup sparkling water into each glass
- Follow with 1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice into each glass
- Add 3-4 tablespoons strawberry compote into each glass and stir to combine
- Garnish with fresh mint leaves and lime and enjoy!
Romans 1:20 “For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities–his eternal power and divine nature–have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.”