Today’s recipe is the first of two. Sweet, creamy, and completely scrumptious, this lemon frosting is the filling for my Lemon Sandwich Cookies, of which I will be posting tomorrow. While there are various methods to making a frosting without dairy, eggs, or refined sugar, I have found that my absolute favorite is pureed white sweet potato. Adding this vegetable not only adds a natural sweetness to the frosting, but it also ensures that it doesn’t completely solidify when stored in the fridge. What is even greater is that no one will ever guess what they are eating, and more importantly, certainly won’t care, as the overall taste and texture is unbeatable. Though I used this lemon cream to fill the middle of my Lemon Cream Sandwich cookies, it is also great iced on my AIP-friendly Sugar Cookie Cutouts, or piped onto cake or cupcakes. Despite being biased towards the “real thing,” my family has grown very fond of frostings that I make with Japanese sweet potato, and the best part is, it is super simple, and super tasty. If you are interested in more recipes using this, make sure to check out my Cranberry Chocolate Truffles. On a completely different note, I wanted to bring light to a campaign that Exo Protein is doing for the next week, where they are giving those interested a Paleo 2 Bar Sample Pack for FREE! Seriously, my parents (especially my mother), are hooked on these bars, and have already ordered many packs of Exo’s cocoa and blueberry flavors. So what are you waiting for? Hop on the cricket flour bandwagon (no pun intended) by simply clicking the affiliate link above, and in the meantime, stay tuned for tomorrow’s cookies!
Lemon Cream Frosting
- 1/2 cup non-hydrogenated palm shortening
- 1/2 cup pureed Japanese sweet potato
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- To make the sweet potato puree, peel, chop, and boil 1 medium sized Japanese sweet potato until fork tender, then place in a food processor, blending until smooth, and setting aside in a container for later use.
- Back in the food processor, puree together 1/2 cup non-hydrogenated palm shortening, 1/2 cup pre-pureed sweet potato, honey, sea salt, lemon juice, and lemon zest, until fully combined and creamy.
- Transfer frosting to a piping bag to frost lemon sandwich cookies.
Isaiah 53:5-6 “But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; The chastisement for our peace was upon Him, And by His stripes we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; We have turned, every one, to his own way; And the Lord has laid on Him the iniquity of us all.”