- 1 lb organic ground beef
- 6-8 medium sized bell peppers
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 lime – juiced
- 1/4 cup gluten free soy sauce, Coconut Aminos, or Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp fish sauce (or 1 tsp sea salt)
- 1 cup shiitaki mushrooms – diced
- 2 cup shredded broccoli
- 1 bundle of scallions *You will be using both the white and green end
- 2 large garlic cloves – chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger – chopped
- 1 can of crushed pineapple
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro – chopped
- 1 egg – beaten
- In a food processor fitted with the shredding attachment, shred broccoli into small pieces, and then transfer to a medium sized mixing bowl, along with 1/2 cup sliced scallion (white part only), diced mushrooms, chopped garlic cloves, chopped fresh ginger, and 1/2 cup chopped cilantro. *Alternatively you could finely chop the broccoli by hand.
- In a small bowl, make the sauce by combining 1/4 cup canned pineapple juice, sesame oil, soy sauce, lime juice, and fish sauce.
- In a big skillet on medium-low, heat olive oil until hot and then add the ground beef.
- Season the beef with garlic powder, ground ginger, turmeric, and sea salt, stirring to incorporate the spices.
- Once the meat has partially cooked, add in the bowl of vegetables, and stir to combine.
- Pour the prepared sauce over the pan and allow to finish cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- Take the pan off heat and transfer the mixture back into the medium sized mixing bowl previously used for the chopped veggies.
- While the stuffing mixture cools, prepare your peppers by slicing off the tops and discarding any seeds or membranes.
- In a medium-large pot of boiling water, par-boil cored peppers for 3 minutes, removing from the water with a slotted spoon or tongs, and then placing in a large baking dish upside down. *This ensures there is no trapped water in the peppers.
- In a small bowl, beat egg and 1/2 cup crushed pineapple and add to the cooled “stuffing” mixture, mixing thoroughly until evenly incorporated.
- Spoon into prepared peppers, add 1/8th inch of water to the baking dish, and bake at 350 dg for 30 minutes.
- Once finished, plate and serve peppers with 1/2 cup of chopped (green) scallions.