The other day my husband and I were educating the two older kids what chicken nuggets were TRULY made out of (gross). After being thoroughly disgusted by the conventional farming methods used to produce the “chicken” for this popular finger food, my husband suggested I show the kids how to make real chicken nuggets using a whole bird. At first I wasn’t sure what I wanted to use for the breading (crushed plantain chips, coconut flour, almond flour, etc…), as ultimately the inner child in me wanted to be able to enjoy the nuggets as well. Then I thought of it…pork rinds, duh. The end result was fantastic, the kids are obsessed, and overall, they’re the perfect way to change up the usual roasted chicken. For my sauce, I used Sir Kensington’s avocado oil ranch dressing, though mayo, or Primal Kitchen’s ranch sauce would also be a great option. While the kids thoroughly enjoyed theirs dipped in ketchup with carrot sticks on the side, I decided to make some lettuce wraps for myself. Overall, the combination of crispy chicken and fresh, crisp iceberg is absolutely perfect. Drizzle a little ranch on there and you’ve got yourself a meal pleasing to any palate. Believe me, we’re obsessed!
Crispy Chicken Wraps with Avocado Oil Ranch
- 2 large chicken breast
- 5 oz pork rinds
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Avocado oil ranch
- 1 iceberg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Crush pork rinds until a fine dust, then mix with 1 tsp sea salt in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Whisk together eggs and avocado oil in a separate mixing bowl.
- Slice chicken into 1/4 inch slices, then deep each slice once in the egg mixture and then directly into the pork rind dust, coating on both sides.
- Once coated, place chicken on a parchment lined baking sheet and allow to bake 10-15 minutes.
- Serve chicken on iceberg leaves with a drizzle of your favorite ranch sauce.
Psalm 27:14 “Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.”